Hotelgoodprice Near Hotels Guide

hotels in douglasville ga

2 March 2022

The below map shows Hotels In Douglasville Ga

Booking.com

History of Douglasville Georgia

In 1874, Douglasville was incorporated as the town of Douglas. The community was named for Senator Stephen A. Douglas of Illinois, who is best remembered for his 1860 debates with Abraham Lincoln.

Douglasville was originally known as Skint Chestnut, after a large tree used by Native Americans as a landmark and meeting place. The name was later changed to honor Senator Stephen A. Douglas. Douglasville's downtown was almost destroyed by fire in 1876, but the town was soon rebuilt. The town was officially renamed in 1889 to Douglasville to avoid confusion with other towns in Georgia that were also named Douglas.

Douglasville is located 20 miles (32 km) west of Atlanta and is part of the Atlanta Metro Area. Interstate 20 runs through the city, providing access to Atlanta and Birmingham, Alabama. A historical marker on the courthouse lawn outlines the route followed by the armies of Sherman and Johnston in the Atlanta Campaign during the American Civil War.

One of Georgia's first major shopping malls, Arbor Place Mall, opened in Douglasville in October 1997.

Most of Douglas County's 40,000 plus residents are within 15 minutes of Six Flags Over Georgia as well as historic downtown Douglasville with its shopping, dining and entertainment venues.

In addition to its top-rated schools, parks and recreational opportunities, Douglas County also has four large industrial parks that are home to more than 300 industries including companies such as Amazon, General Motors/Saturn Division and Wal-Mart Distribution Center.

Nearby attractions include the Atlanta Motor Speedway, Six Flags Over Georgia, Sweetwater Creek State Park, West Pines Golf Club, Arbor Place Mall and several Civil War battlefields and museums.

Historical Markers in Downtown Douglasville

The Civil War and Reconstruction Marker (located on the grounds of the former county courthouse).

The Thomas Dixon Theatre Marker - In 1911, early motion picture shows were held here.

The Old Douglas County Jail Marker (in front of Community Bank and Trust) - This jail was built in 1891 and remained in service until 1989.

The Civil War Cemetery Marker (on Stewart Street at North Park) - Here lie soldiers from both sides of the war.

The First Baptist Church Marker (on Church Street) - The cornerstone was laid May 19th, 1909.

Landmarks in Douglasville Georgia

The Douglas County Cultural Arts Center was established in 2001 and has been growing ever since. The center offers classes in everything from painting to sculpture and is open to people of all ages. You can also see some art exhibits here.

The Douglasville Conference Center was built in 1885 as the home of Reverend William Hartsfield. In 1908, it was moved to its present location and refurbished as a hotel. It is now on the National Register of Historic Places and continues to be used as a hotel and conference center.

Sweetwater Creek State Park is a great place for hiking, mountain biking, fishing, boating and picnicking. You can also go canoeing or kayaking here, or take a stroll along the walking trails that wind through the woods alongside Sweetwater Creek.

The Douglas County Courthouse was built in 1876. It was designed by architect Thomas Henry Morgan, and is an excellent example of the post-Civil War "vacated town square" courthouse style. It is significant for its architecture and its role as the center of county government. Photograph by David Seibert, October 3, 2002.

Food in Douglasville Georgia

Douglas County has a wide variety of good places to eat. From fast food, to family dining and fine dining there is something for everyone.

The following are some local favorites:

Dairy Queen

Savannah's Southern Grille

Kalahari Bar & Grill

Casa Grande Mexican Restaurant

Caliente Mexican Restaurant

The Pink Pig BBQ

Park Place Restaurant

Pizza Hut

La Parrilla Mexican Restaurant