5 March 2022
The below map shows Hotels In Hardeeville Sc
History of Hardeeville South Carolina
The city of Hardeeville is the southern gateway to South Carolina, located on Interstate 95 at the intersection of I-95 and U.S. Highway 17.
The New River Heritage Preserve Area and Savannah National Wildlife Refuge are two short miles from our downtown area. The rich history of Hardeeville, from colonial times through the Civil War, can be seen in several historical sites throughout our community.
A rural setting amidst large tracts of land devoted to agriculture and the natural habitat provide a tranquil setting for those who live in and visit our City.
The City of Hardeeville has a modern industrial park, a full service airport, a community college and an excellent school system which provide all the amenities for new businesses and industry. A variety of recreational facilities include tennis courts, golf courses, fishing and hunting areas, ball fields and playgrounds, a community center with Olympic size swimming pool and walking/biking trails.
In 1803, James Hardee built the first store at the site of Hardeeville. He was a native of North Carolina who had moved to Charleston and worked as an accountant before buying land from John Barnwell and moving to Jasper County. When he died in 1828, he was buried in his front yard. In 1834, Jasper County was divided and All Saints Parish became Beaufort County with Hardeeville as county seat.
The town thrived for several years until a yellow fever epidemic struck in 1854, followed by Sherman's March to the Sea (1864), which destroyed most of the town's structures and businesses. In 1865, Beaufort County became Hampton County (named after Confederate General Wade Hampton), with Varnville as the county seat. The town's name was officially changed to Hardeeville sometime between 1880 and 1888 when it became a stop on the Savannah & Charleston Railroad line.
In 1910, Hardeeville had a population of about 200 people, with some cotton mills and a railroad depot. It also had the Savannah and Western Railroad Depot which helped shipments of goods in and out of the city.
In 1950, the population increased to about 500 people but had no paved streets or sidewalks until 1953 when they were installed by the city. The population then decreased to 400 by 1960 after the closing of several businesses in town due to lack of economic activity.
The first school in Hardeeville was established by Rev. John Leland and named Freedom Academy because he believed education should be available for all children regardless of race or creed. He continued his work on this project until his death at age 90 on November 30th 1833, when it was taken over by Revs John Hixson and Jonathan Maxcy who continued running it until their deaths respectively in 1844 & 1845.
Landmarks in Hardeeville South Carolina
Hardeeville, South Carolina, is located in Jasper County. The town was first known as Savannah Junction, when it was a stop on the railroad between Savannah, Georgia, and Charleston, South Carolina. The name was changed to Hardeeville in 1915 to honor Governor William Dunlap Hardee of Georgia.
Hardeeville is home to the Jasper County Airport and the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge. It's also the southern entrance to Hilton Head Island and a short drive from coastal beaches.
The Hardeeville Historic District is a historic district consisting of a portion of Old Salem Road in Hardeeville, South Carolina. The road was part of the original King's Highway between Charleston and Savannah, and features several structures dating to the early 19th century. The only non-contributing structure is an automobile dealership.
The Hardeeville Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.