6 April 2022
The below map shows Hotels Near Jonesboro Ga
History of Jonesboro Georgia
The earliest inhabitants of the area were indigenous peoples who, like their predecessors, engaged in hunting and gathering. Starting in the 1770s, European Americans began to migrate into the area. They were of varied ethnic backgrounds, including Scots-Irish and English. In the 19th century, most of these settlers were yeomen farmers, but after the Civil War some became businessmen and industrialists.
In 1800 European-American settlers arrived in what is now Jonesboro. They were yeomen farmers and seasoned soldiers from Georgia's coastal plain regions. They bought land from William McCallie. His daughter Martha married New Englander Maurice H. Jones in 1801. After her death, Jones became a merchant and cotton gin builder. Their son donated part of his land for the railroad right-of-way.
The first State Bank was chartered in 1854. Nearby cities developed along parallel lines: an agricultural center with a cotton gin factory on one side of town and a railroad junction on the other side of town; each city became a county seat for one of several newly formed counties. Farmers supplied this market through the cultivation of cotton as their commodity crop.
Jonesboro was founded in 1823 at the intersection of two Native American trails, the "Marthasville Trail" and the "Atlanta to St. Louis Trail".The land for the town was purchased by William H. Shaw, who converted a log cabin into a tavern and inn for travelers seeking overnight accommodations.
The town's name was originally spelled "Jonesborough", and during the American Civil War the final "ugh" was dropped for strategic reasons by then-Mayor Horace King, an African American who had been born into slavery and freed in his early 20s. The city's name often led people to believe that it was named for a railroad official; however, James J. Andrews, one of the Union spies involved in The Great Locomotive Chase passed through Jonesboro on his way to Marietta and told residents that it had been named after him.
During the Civil War, Jonesboro served as an important hospital town, with three hospitals existing in or near present-day Old Towne:
Windsor Hotel Hospital (southwest corner of Main Street and McDonough Road)
Moye House Hospital (southwest corner of Main Street and Fayetteville Road)
Howard House Hospital
Landmarks in Jonesboro Georgia
The Old Jail Museum
The Old Jail Museum is located at 120 South McDonough Street, and it is one of the oldest buildings in Clayton County. It was built in 1891, and it was used as a jail until 1980. The museum documents the history of the building, which has also served as a police station and court house. The museum offers guided tours.
Jonesboro Historic Courthouse
The Jonesboro Historic Courthouse is located at 101 South Main Street. It is an example of the Romanesque architectural style, and it was built in 1890. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP), and it currently serves as a local history museum.
The Old Courthouse
The Old Courthouse is one of the most recognizable landmarks in Jonesboro. Constructed in 1891 and designed by architect G.L. Norman, it's the oldest courthouse still standing in Clayton County and has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1979. The building houses an exhibit on the history of Clayton County as well as several murals painted by local artist Rene Shoemaker. Visitors can also view a bell manufactured by Paul Revere that once hung in the courthouse's tower but was removed after being damaged beyond repair by vandals. The bell is being restored and will be returned to its original location when the restoration is complete.
Wesley Chapel Church
Another historic site in Jonesboro is Wesley Chapel Church, which was built in 1848 by settlers who came to Jonesboro from South Carolina and named after John Wesley, the founder of Methodism. The church is one of four churches still standing that were built before the Civil War and has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1973.