Hotelgoodprice Near Hotels Guide

hotels near mgm springfield

26 April 2022

The below map shows Hotels Near Mgm Springfield

History of MGM Springfield

MGM Springfield opened in August 2018 and is the first full-scale casino in Massachusetts. It is owned by MGM Resorts International and includes a 150,000-square-foot casino floor with 2,550 slot machines, 120 table games, and 23 poker tables. The resort also includes a 250-room boutique hotel on Main Street, a movie theater, bowling alley, ice skating rink, outdoor marketplace displaying local businesses and a contemporary art museum. There are 12 restaurants, lounges and bars within the casino resort.

The casino sits on 14 acres in downtown Springfield and was built on the site of the former South End neighborhood that housed several businesses including the Hampden Clothing Company building. The area had been considered for redevelopment for decades before MGM won the license to build a resort casino in 2013. MGM beat out two other bidders Massachusetts Gaming & Entertainment LLC (Mohegan Sun) and Hard Rock International and committed to building a $800 million resort with at least 2,000 jobs for local residents.

Springfield's previous bid for a casino license failed in 2014 when Wynn Resorts was awarded the license to build an $1.6 billion resort in Everett instead.

The oldest buildings in this complex are the Georgian Revival buildings, fronted by stately pillars and built in an era when Greek-inspired and Roman architecture dominated the New England landscape. These structures were originally part of the Massachusetts Agricultural College campus, and they've been around since 1888. The Georgian buildings have also been used as barracks and dormitories, classrooms, a library, and a gymnasium and some of them even served as makeshift housing for people who'd lost theirs during the 1938 hurricane that claimed more than 600 lives.

The next buildings in the complex were erected around 1920, with a design more inspired by American Colonial styles. The newer buildings were built in three stages over thirty years, with additions added as needed for expanding student populations. It's these additions that earned them their official name: "the Annex."

In 2013, after many years of being vacant and falling into disrepair, these historic buildings were renovated to become part of MGM Springfield.

Landmarks near MGM Springfield

The Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden: This is a beautiful memorial that honors Theodor Seuss Geisel. It features seven bronze sculptures created by Lark Grey Dimond-Cates, Geisel's stepdaughter, who channeled his spirit as she worked. The sculpture garden was created through a collaboration between the city of Springfield and The National Center for Children's Illustrated Literature (NCCIL) and opened in 2002. It's located on Chestnut Street between Dwight Street and State Street.

Holyoke Merry-Go-Round: This historic carousel is housed in Heritage State Park and is one of only 100 antique wooden merry-go-rounds still operating in the U.S. It was originally built in 1920 by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company, but it was later moved to Holyoke from South Hadley Falls in 1990 after being restored by volunteers from a local nonprofit organization called Friends of the Holyoke Merry Go Round.

The Springfield Armory was founded on this site in 1777 after George Washington recognized the need for an arsenal to store ammunition and gunpowder for the Revolutionary War. It continued as an active armory for nearly 200 years. Today, visitors can learn about its history at numerous exhibits throughout the complex, including a museum that houses the world's largest collection of firearms. The Armory also hosts events such as lecture series, concerts, and workshops.

The Worcester Art Museum is a museum in Worcester, Massachusetts. It was founded in 1896. The permanent collection includes works of art ranging from ancient times to the present day. The museum's holdings include over 35,000 works of art, an outdoor sculpture garden and a library and archives. In addition to its permanent collection, the WAM regularly hosts visiting exhibitions and workshops.