14 April 2022
The below map shows Hotels Near Shelby Nc
History of Shelby North Carolina
Founded in 1842, Shelby is surrounded by rolling hills and located in the Piedmont region of North Carolina, just 25 miles west of Charlotte.
The City of Shelby has a population of 20,323. Originally called Cedar Springs, the new town was incorporated in 1843 as Shelby, honoring Isaac Shelby, a hero of the Revolutionary War.
Shelby was even featured in the New York Times for its beautiful downtown and great quality of life.
Shelby is known for its textile industry which was the primary source of employment before World War II. After World War II, textiles declined and manufacturing jobs increased with such companies as Daimler Chrysler and Duke Power. In recent years, health care has become one of Shelby's largest employers with Cleveland Regional Medical Center and Wendover Hospital providing medical services to residents from Cleveland county and surrounding counties. The Cleveland County Health Department also operates a clinic in Shelby.
The Citizens on Patrol (COP) program has volunteers assisting local law enforcement officers by patrolling their neighborhoods or business areas to reduce crime and improve the quality of life for all citizens.
The Downtown District is composed of five city blocks containing over thirty-five historic buildings constructed between 1900-1929.
Shelby is a city in and the county seat of Cleveland County, North Carolina, United States. It lies near the western edge of the Charlotte combined statistical area. The population was 20,323 at the 2010 census. History The city's colonial history began in 1775 with the establishment of Shelby by Colonel Issac Shelby, a Revolutionary War veteran who served as governor of Kentucky from 1792-95. The town was originally planned around a central square to encourage commerce, similar to what Charlotte had done some 20 years before.
Cleveland County was formed in 1841 from parts of Lincoln County and Rutherford County, and Shelby was made the county seat. It was named in honor of Colonel Benjamin Cleveland, a commander at Kings Mountain during the American Revolution. In 1845, the city became the county seat for newly formed Cleveland County. After receiving its charter in 1843, town trustees developed local ordinances modeled after those used by larger cities such as Baltimore and Philadelphia. For instance, a slave living within town limits was fined $5 for riding down Lafayette Street without his owner or a white man walking beside him.
Landmarks near Shelby North Carolina
The Earl Scruggs Center is a museum and cultural center that features exhibits relating to the life and work of bluegrass musician Earl Scruggs, who was a native of the area. The center's exhibits also relate to local history and crafts such as textiles and pottery. It is located downtown in an historic department store building that previously housed the Cleveland County Arts Council.
The Don Gibson Theatre is named after singer-songwriter Don Gibson, another native of the area. The theater hosts musical performances and other events as well as serving as a movie theater. It is also used by local performing arts groups and school productions.
Shelby City Park covers approximately 100 acres (40 ha) adjacent to Uptown Shelby, including a lake with boat rentals and fishing piers, walking trails, a disc golf course, tennis courts, playgrounds, picnic shelters, an amphitheater for outdoor concerts, a 9-hole executive golf course that is played for $5 or less per round, basketball courts and softball fields.
How to get to Shelby North Carolina
Shelby is an easy drive from Charlotte, North Carolina or Greenville, South Carolina.
From Charlotte: Take I-85 South to Exit 10. At the end of the ramp turn right onto US 74 East (also known as Lafayette Street). Go approximately 1/2 mile and turn left onto US 221 South Business (also known as Marion Street). This will put you on the northbound side of the road. Go approximately one block and turn right onto Warren Street. The visitors center is in the second building on your right.
From Greenville: Take I-85 North to Exit 14. At the end of the ramp turn left on to US 74 West (also known as Kings Road). Go approximately 1/2 mile and turn left onto US 221 South Business (also known as Marion Street). This will put you on the northbound side of the road. Go approximately one block and turn right onto Warren Street. The visitors center is in the second building on your right.