Hotelgoodprice Near Hotels Guide

hotels near westbury ny

1 April 2022

The below map shows Hotels Near Westbury Ny

Booking.com

History of Westbury New York

Westbury is a village in Nassau County, in the U.S. state of New York, on the North Shore of Long Island. As of the 2010 United States Census, the village population was 15,146. The Incorporated Village of Westbury is in the Town of North Hempstead.

It was known as Brushville after Thomas Brush who settled in the area in 1665, and had a large farm extending to the border with Jericho. He was also one of the earliest settlers of Jericho. A Quaker, he helped establish Friends meetings at Jericho (1696), Syosset (1740), and Westbury (1810). The town's early name was changed to Newtown Township in 1691 to avoid confusion with other towns named "Flushing". During this period of growth, the town's first newspaper, The Town and Country Gazette, was founded by local resident Ezekiel Woodruff in 1763.

The hamlet became known simply as "Westbury" sometime between 1812 and 1817 during a surge of renaming towns around New York after "Westbury", England. In 1927 its name was changed to Old Westbury to distinguish it from another Westbury located within Hempstead.

The Village of Westbury is part of the Town of North Hempstead located in Nassau County, Long Island, New York. The community is located about 21 miles east of Manhattan.

Prior to English settlement, the area that is now known as Westbury was home to the Matinecock Native Americans. In 1657, the first settlers arrived and purchased land from the Native Americans to establish their farms. In November 1658, the first town meeting was held in Hempstead and in March 1659, the new residents named their community 'Westbury'.

In 1730, a Quaker Meeting House was established and served as a place of worship for many years until it was converted into a private residence.

The community grew steadily over the next 150 years and by 1867, it had become a bustling community with houses lining Post Avenue (now known as Post Road) and Old Country Road (known today as Old Country Road). By 1875, there were six stores, three churches and two hotels. In 1885, Westbury became an incorporated village with James S. Taylor as its first mayor.

Landmarks in Westbury New York

In Westbury, New York, you can find some of the most interesting and remarkable landmarks in the whole world.

Westbury is a village in Nassau County, United States. It is part of Long Island and is located on Jericho Turnpike. The name was initially used for a station of the Long Island Rail Road that was named after Westbury, Wiltshire in England. There are several important landmarks to see in Westbury.

The first landmark is the Carman's River Bridge. It was built by William Henry Miller in 1887 and it was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 29th, 1973. It is considered one of the most beautiful nineteenth century bridges surviving in all of New York State. The second landmark is the Old Westbury Gardens which covers more than 200 acres including formal gardens, landscaped grounds and woodlands with ponds, lakes and streams. The third landmark is the Westbury Music Fair which was built as a theater for live performance and roadshows by John Kenley in 1957. In addition to hosting music performances it also served as a venue for corporate events, trade shows and product launches. The fourth landmark is the Old Bethpage Village Restoration which features recreations of homes and farm buildings.

Westbury Manor Museum is a former estate house that is now a museum located in Westbury, New York. The museum is located on Westbury Lane near Post Avenue in the village of Westbury. Its buildings were originally part of the Philipse Manor lands, which included parts of Manhattan; all of the Bronx; parts of Queens; and all or parts of Long Island's Nassau County (Oyster Bay, Jamaica) and Westchester County.

The Race Place at Wheatley Hills was a racing venue for both thoroughbred horse racing and auto racing from 1929 until 1931.

The facility was located east of Old Country Road between Post Avenue and Jericho Turnpike in East Meadow, New York near the boundary with Westbury.